Hidden Treasure

For you formed my inward parts, You covered me in my mother's womb. Psalms 139:13

Friday, March 20, 2009

Some Things are Sacred and Should Never be Used as Part of a Joke. Never.



Appearing on "The Tonight Show," the president told host Jay Leno he'd been practicing at the White House's bowling alley but wasn't happy with his score of 129. Then he rolled a gutter ball by quipping: "It was like the Special Olympics or something."

The audience laughed, but the White House quickly recognized the blunder.

And then later: WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama has apologized to the chairman of the Special Olympics for his late-night talk show quip equating his bowling skills to those of athletes with disabilities.


Atleast he apologized. I'll give the guy that. But for someone so eloquent and poised, this is a slap to those involved with the SO or have a loved one that is considered "special". I remember in the 70's the band Chicago belted out "Make me Smile" for a Special Olympics commercial. The participants weren't exploited but instead, their smiles lit up the screen as the announcer invited the viewer to join in the fun. I never forgot those smiles.

Maybe that is why this bothers me. Watch a "special" person. Their smile lights up the world. How in world could you say anything against them? To err is human and to ask forgiveness proper. To not repeat the offense? Priceless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
Powered by WebRing.